Tasty and Surprisingly Healthy Cacao Punch
Just because you’re trying to eat healthy doesn’t mean that you have to give up treats altogether. Instead, you can simply substitute your favourite ones for healthier options. Need some inspiration? Check out our tasty and surprisingly healthy cacao punch.
Made with avocado, banana, and cacao powder, this heavenly smoothie is amazingly creamy while still being surprisingly nutritious. Here’s how you can benefit from eating 3 incredible foods when you enjoy this delicious cacao punch.
Because of their smooth texture and subtle taste, avocados are a great ingredient to include in smoothies. In particular, they make smoothies creamy without adding a strong, overbearing taste. Avocados also contain nearly 20 key nutrients, including protein, potassium, fibre, and healthy fat. As a result, in addition to boosting taste and texture, avocados up the nutrient profile of a smoothie.
You may know that bananas are nutritious. But did you know just how many nutrients they contain? Bananas pack a powerful punch because they’re rich in vitamin B6, vitamin C, manganese, potassium, soluble and insoluble fibre, and natural sugars. They’re also free of fat and cholesterol and low in sodium.
Here’s why this matters:
- The vitamin B6 in a medium-sized banana gives you about 25% of your recommended daily intake. Easily absorbed by the body, this vitamin B6 metabolizes amino acids, creates red blood cells, turns carbs and fat into energy, supports your nervous system, and removes unwanted chemicals from your liver and kidneys.
- One medium-sized banana provides about 10% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin C. Vitamin C has been shown to increase iron absorption, raise serotonin production, protect against tissue and cell damage, and enhance collagen production.
- You’ll find about 13% of your recommended daily intake of manganese in a medium-sized banana. Your body needs manganese to make collagen and protect your cells against free radical damage.
- Need to boost your potassium intake? A medium-sized banana will give you 10% of the recommended daily intake. Potassium boosts heart health and helps you maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- A medium-sized banana contains 10% of your recommended soluble and insoluble fibre intake. Soluble fibre helps you eliminate fatty substances from the body and keep your blood sugar in check. In comparison, insoluble fibre boosts gut health by keeping bowel movements regular. It can also help you avoid constipation, heartburn, and stomach ulcers.
You may assume that chocolate is bad for you because it tastes so good. But the truth is that if you choose the right type of chocolate, it isn’t that bad for you. For example, half a cup of raw cacao contains only 1 gram of sugar. As a result, adding it to foods is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping your snacks healthy.
Our tasty cacao punch makes it easy to enjoy avocado, banana, and chocolate all together in a single delicious snack:
- 1 tbsp of almond butter or preferred milk
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- ½ avocado
- ½ banana
- 1 date
- 1 scoop of preferred protein
- Mix all the ingredients. When adding the almond butter, start with 1 tbsp and add more until you achieve the consistency you want.
- Garnish the cacao punch with cacao ribs, chopped walnuts, and shredded coconut.
Tips & Tricks
- To get a creamy consistency, use a frozen banana instead of a fresh one.
- Using dates allows you to naturally sweeten your cacao punch so that you don’t have to use refined sugar or artificial sweeteners.