This delicious, vegan, low sugar adaptogenic hot chocolate is more than just a treat but a nourishing and restorative tonic to boost your health from head to toe, thanks to the power of adaptogenic herbs and superfoods!
This hot cocoa is perfect for giving you a boost in the morning instead of your usual cup of coffee, or you can even enjoy it as a special dessert after dinner. It's absolutely perfect for the dark chocolate lovers out there!
What is an adaptogen?
Adaptogens are herbs that provide the body with resiliency to physiological and psychological stress. They tend to have a regulatory effect on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, which is the neuroendocrine system that controls your body’s response to stress, among other important physiological processes. In simple terms, adaptogens are natural remedies that can help the body adapt to stress.
Adaptogens are considered calming and energizing, while helping to restore the body’s natural vitality and resilience! 
What do adaptogens taste like?
Adaptogens all taste different; however, many of them do have quite a bitter, pungent flavor. Not to worry, blending them with other ingredients like cacao powder, plant-based milk, and a little sweetener perfectly disguises the taste in this adaptogenic hot cocoa recipe!
What are the adaptogens in this recipe, and what are their health benefits?
Ashwagandha is definitely the most widely studied adaptogenic herb. Famous for its use in Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is an evergreen shrub native to India, the Middle East, and Northern Africa that reduces stress.
Ashwagandha contains potent bioactive constituents known as withanolides. Withanolides are the main bioactive phytochemicals within the plant, providing Ashwagandha with its amazing health benefits.
Randomized controlled trials consistently show that Ashwagandha may help lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, reduce perceived symptoms of stress and anxiety, and improve sleep quality and duration while enhancing cognitive function. By balancing hormones related stress, it may also help to support weight management and healthy testosterone levels in men.
Quality is essential when choosing an Ashwagandha product. That’s why we’ve ensured that our Ashwagandha supplement is 100% organic and derived from the root only, providing the perfect safe dosage of withanolides. Our best-selling Ashwagandha also contains organic black pepper extract, which has been shown to enhance the bioavailability of certain phytochemicals by up to 2000%!
Reishi has long been used as an adaptogenic mushroom in Traditional Chinese Medicine to promote relaxation and restore the body’s strength and vitality after periods of stress.
This medicinal mushroom is also used to support longevity, immunity, liver health, and more, making it the perfect superfood to add to your daily regime. 
If you’d like to add even more medicinal mushrooms into your lifestyle, you can give our Mushroom Gummies a try, which are packed full of 10 potent mushroom extracts (including reishi mushroom!)
Maca has been given superfood status over the last few years, and rightly so! This ancient vegetable has been cultivated for thousands of years in the Andes mountains of Peru. It was even used by ancient Incan warriors thanks to its high nutritional content and medicinal properties.
Maca root has also been called “Peruvian Gingseng” since, like Ashwagandha, it has traditionally been prized for its restorative effect on low energy levels. Other potential benefits of maca may include enhanced sexual health and fertility.
Maca root gives this drink malty, nutty flavours that you'll absolutely love! 
Do the other ingredients have benefits too?
Yes, they most certainly do! Check it out:
Raw cocoa powder: Cocoa is rich in antioxidant polyphenols like catechins, anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins. It’s thought that these polyphenols may help to protect against cardiovascular disease, support cognitive health, and elevate antioxidant defenses. 
- Ceylon cinnamon: Ceylon cinnamon is a super spice that may help to boost metabolic health by supporting balanced blood sugar and healthy blood pressure levels. Ceylon cinnamon has also been traditionally used to boost digestive wellness and oral health.  
(Makes 2 servings)
- 2 cups of plant based, dairy free milk (we love oat milk, almond milk or hemp milk)
- 2 teaspoons of raw cacao butter
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 1 capsule of Ashwagandha, opened
- ½ teaspoon of Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of Reishi mushroom powder
- 2 teaspoons of Maca root powder
- ¼ teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- Natural sweetener to taste (stevia, monk fruit, raw honey, date syrup, coconut sugar, maple syrup or any sweetener of choice)
- Optional: Vanilla extract
- Add all the adaptogenic hot chocolate ingredients (except the sweetener) into a blender and blend on high speed until frothy and creamy.
- Pour into a saucepan, bringing it to medium heat (try not to let it boil to preserve the beneficial properties of the medicinal ingredients)
- Add your sweetener of choice to taste.
- For a more foamy texture, finish off with an electric milk frother!
- Pour into 2 mugs. Enjoy and feel the stress melt away.